Southwell was first awarded Fairtrade Town status in March 2006. Ten years on we are still working to promote Fairtrade in our community, constantly looking for ways in which we can support disadvantaged producers in the developing world through empowering trade.
The town has an active Steering Group which meets regularly to plan activities and find ways to increase awareness of and commitment to Fairtrade.
This website is designed to give an overview of what we've been doing and what we are planning next, but also hopefully to provide ways in which anyone in the town can engage with Fairtade on a local level.
1. Check out which of our local businesses are stocking which Fairtrade products. If there's something you would like to be able to buy locally, why not let us know through the 'Contact Us' page. Or if your business is selling Fairtrade goods or otherwise supporting fair trade and we've missed it, let us know and we can make sure you have a feature
2. Sign up for our e-newsletter. We'll be able to keep you up to date with our news and make sure you never miss one of our events
3. Attend an event - see what we're up to next on the Events page
4. Create a Fair Bake! Check out our recipes, create one of your own, or click through to The Big Fair Bake on the Fairtrade Foundation campaigns page for more brilliant fair recipes.
5. Join the Steering Group, or become one of our 'Willing Hands' who help support the team with the bigger events.
6. Use the 'Contact us' page to suggest an event, action or campaign we should be engaging with, ask a question about fair trade or just let us know your thoughts.
However you use this site, we hope that you find something here which serves to remind you what a positive force for good fair trade really is.